1. Purposeful Living
Chapter One Highlights
Embrace your passions on every level and in every direction – your family every bit as much as your profession… your friends as much as your community… the person you are down-deep as much as the roles you feel obliged to play. If I have learned one thing in these revealing days, it’s Don’t stop now!”
“My purpose in life is not your purpose – but each of us has our own purpose. And every personal sense of purpose is incredibly important – no matter if it’s keeping a family together, researching medicine in a laboratory, defending democracy on the world’s battlefields, or leading a nation. Everyone’s purpose is vital. The challenge for each of us is to find our individual purpose and then to stick with it. We all play a part in making the world tick, and we all want to contribute the best we can give in whatever the world calls upon us to do.”
Questions to Consider
We invite you to help change the conversation on the end of life and share your thoughts and experiences below:
1. Do I feel my overarching purpose “in the moment” in my last days with the same intensity that I have pursued it throughout my life?
2. Without trying to overdo what’s possible, am I completing the last tasks I feel I must complete to leave life fulfilling the obligations I have committed myself to shoulder?
3. Have I asked for help from others when I recognized that I can no longer personally achieve goals that I have always assumed were my personal obligation?
4. Have I honestly accepted the fact that I will leave things undone… Instead of ruing that reality, have I done my best to entrust tasks and responsibilities to others who can continue my dreams in life when I will no longer be able to?
5. If I have felt remorse or regret about not achieving certain things in my life, have I come to terms with accepting these disappointments? Am I now focused on the positive and doable, instead of dwelling on sadness over lost opportunities?
6. If end of life is not an imminent issue for me now, do I still give purpose the priority it deserves in my daily living?
Very EYE opener. Thnak you.
Cathy Zacks Gildenhorn
Thank you for sharing your reflections.